Thursday, November 8, 2018

A "Talk" In Your Shoes


A month ago my school Speech and Language Pathologist came to me with an idea to have a whole school "silent lunch" in which students could only communicate using the "Core Boards" (boards we use with students who are non-verbal or who have minimal communication). She thought this would be a good event to have during Kindness Week for "We Are All Unique" day, and it would give general education students a better understanding of just how difficult, challenging, frustrating, and lonely it is to not be able to speak like everyone else. She wrote a script and I created a couple of videos. The first shared what AAC (Augmentative and Alternative Communication) is. In the second, I told of times where I have had trouble speaking or lost my voice. The day of the event I modeled how to use the board and how to use gestures and pointing for words that are not on the board. She also printed Core Boards and passed out to each teacher. I thought to myself, we are surely going to a lot of effort for something that might be a huge failure.

Oh Miss. Rose of little faith! It was a major success! I had teachers coming up to me the day before saying they had students that were so excited. Of course there were some kiddos not on 'board' (hee hee- core board humor). But for the most part, students were quiet, respectful, and they did their best to use the boards to communicate. And they did an AWESOME job! I had kids making sentences! Telling me "Hi! How are you?" It was MAGICAL! And the cafeteria staff were quite pleased as well. To top it all off I gained my 15 minutes of fame from my videos! "Miss. Rose! There she is!" remarked  few first graders as they passed me in the hallway. I feel SO cool!

Some of the kids were interviewed by our county Assistive Technology superstar afterwards and I really think some kids gained a more empathetic understanding of their differently abled classmates. Some found it really sad and hoped they would find their voice someday and others thought it was really cool that they were learning to talk in a different way. It became a true "talk" in my students' shoes. And it made my heart so happy!

On a much heavier note, I felt like I had my own little "walk in someone else's shoes" experience recently. So this week has been a weird one.  One day all for teacher work day and the other for professional development.  Now, I should preface this by saying I have complete acceptance over the differences in my job and a general education teacher's job. I could not be a General Education Teacher. I tried (student teaching)! And I nearly failed. My world is Special Education and I wouldn't have it any other way. That being said, there were a couple of moments this week where I wished things were. . . different. I wished for an ideal world in which EVERYONE understood that there are some kids that we, fully certified teachers, teach, that do not fit into any mold.

It all began at a Professional Development in which the presenter stated, jokingly, that a Kindergarten expectation should be going "pee pee in the potty". Well sir, not quite. Some students have intellectual or physical disabilities that make it very difficult or impossible to toilet without full or partial assistance. Then there was another meeting in which a video was shown where students came back and told their past teachers how much they meant to them. It was very heartwarming and probably reminded a lot of teachers of their "Why". But considering my students have many communication difficulties, some not being able to verbalize at all, it is not something I should base my "why" on because that day may never come. I get it, my kiddos are less than 1% of the population and if you had a meeting that covered very aspect, program, and classroom as it related to every student, we would be in Professional Development day in and day out. Just once I'd like the presenter, to tell me the modification, tell me how to apply this to students with Moderate Intellectual Disabilities, instead of, "This doesn't really apply to you", or "You know your students".

As I started to feel all "Everyone needs a sensitivity chip!" holier than thou on my pedestal, I started to think about my students' parents and families. If I am feeling this way over two to three circumstances, how must they feel ALL the time. I wouldn't say it was a "walk in their shoes" because I got the whole Monday through Friday 8:30-3:30 thing down but outside of that, I'm clueless. I can say completely that I have a lot more compassion and understanding for the families I work so close with. I also have a lot more caring and a more open heart for my Doodles.

Do they drive me bonkers most of the time? Yes.

Do they require a "Groundhog Day" format to teaching every day (otherwise we might just forget everything)? Absolutely!

But would I change any of that to fit in and not be saddened by a couple things in a Professional Development meeting?

No!
Way!
Jose!

May sunbeams find you!

Lindsay

No comments:

Post a Comment